Sunday, October 30, 2011

Post-Half-Term

I just realized that my previous post is titled 'Pre-Half-Term Week.'  Glad to see I'm sprinkling in some originality with these names!

Half-term just finished and everyone is trickling back to the college in groups of 2 or 3...it was nice to sit outside the house catching up with a few people and greeting everyone who came by.  My half term break was amazing---I got to see Dad and Katie and travel to Berlin with them.  Berlin was a great city.  It combined a very modern atmosphere and lots of contemporary buildings with a sincere acknowledgement of all of the city's history.  There is still an old architectural influence on the city, but placed in the modern context it gives the feeling of being purposely preserved, as if the city is consciously saving its past because it is such a valuable history.

I enjoyed seeing all of the old-style buildings in Berlin----the Berlin Cathedral was particularly spectacular, located on 'Museum Island,' a treasure trove of great museums housed in beautiful edifices.  If I get the chance to go back, I would love to take a closer look at some of those museums.  We also went out to the Olympic Stadium, the site of the 1936 Olympic Games.  That also had an air of being frozen in time for the benefit of future generations and foreigners like ourselves.  Seeing the stadium reminded me of the 2012 Olympics which will be housed in London---the excitement is already stirring in Cardiff!

After Berlin we went back to Cardiff for a day, so I was able to show Dad and Katie around there.  They took me back to school on Saturday and saw the castle.  It was really quiet since there weren't many people around and those who stayed at school for half-term were mostly studying.  Saying goodbye was not fun, but I know that only 6 weeks separate me from Winter Break---and if past experience is anything to judge by, that time will be quickly over!

Getting back to Morgannwg we found a bit of a surprise: one of the members of our house, Anne-Sofie, decided to leave the school and return to her home in Denmark.  I did have a couple of conversations with her during which she seemed unhappy at the school---she seemed a little disillusioned by the college. In her mind, UWC is supposed to be a place where students come together to work for the ideals of the college, but the focus was more on partying or drinking.  Though there is a strong drinking culture here, I don't find that it interferes too much with what we are trying to accomplish as a community.  Then again, it depends a lot on the people you spend your time with, and while I have found a great group of friends here whose focus is on promoting intercultural understanding to change the world for the better, she may not have been as lucky.  Anyway, a new girl named Chloe has come to Morgannwg.  She is from France, and seems like she will fit into the house very nicely.  So once again, we are almost full in Morgannwg, and full of some great people.

I'm feeling entirely ready for whatever is to come during the next 6 weeks of the semester.  Seeing my family has been really refreshing, and getting a connection with home was incredible.  However, I am glad to be back at AC with all of the wonderful friends I have made.  Until next time, take care and everyone have a fun and safe Halloween!

Madi

No comments:

Post a Comment