Sunday, September 18, 2011

Week 4

Wow!  Every time I sit down to write this blog I am astounded because it seems like I just wrote my last post yesterday!  Now that we've established a bit of a regular routine here at AC, when weekly events come up I am always a bit surprised because they come so quickly!  Every Thursday, our houseparents hold an Open House, where they open the connecting door between our house and their house and let us come in and visit their place.  Somebody makes some kind of food and we sit at a dining room table, drink tea, and chat with our housemates.  It's a really nice thing for them to do, and it's nice for us to be in a normal house once in a while.  But anyway, when Open House rolled around last week I felt like it had been two days since the last Open House!  That just shows how fast time moves around here.

Yesterday I went into Cardiff for the first time since coming to the school.  It was great to get off campus, see a big city again, and hang out with a couple friends.  I went with Maggie from Indiana, and Lian from the Netherlands.  Lian comes from a VERY small town, so Llantwit seems large to her, making Cardiff a metropolis!  It was fun for her to go to a big city.  It turns out that Ikea is a popular attraction for AC students, so we took a side trip there as well so Maggie and Lian could get some stuff for their rooms.  Sadly, I have realized once again that I am a terrible shopper and I didn't get anything while in Cardiff except for a pack of Ritz crackers and some batteries. 

Things are moving right along here, and we are all getting closer to the people we are living with.  The great thing about living in a big house is that everyone is there to support each other whatever happens.  So if you are sick, expect 10 people to ask you throughout the day how you're doing and tell you to get well soon.  I left a note and some tea and biscuits on Paula's pillow when she was sick, and she returned the favor by leaving me a note and a chocolate bar this morning when I wasn't feeling well.  That sort of looking out for one another is something I love about this place.

Another highlight at AC is the National Evenings that take place every Sunday.  So far we have had the British National Evening and the Eastern European National Evening.  Tonight is the Middle Eastern Evening, which should be interesting.  These evenings are opportunities for students to share their culture with the rest of the school.  The best presentations also have a bit of humor in them, as the point is not only to educate but also to entertain.  The North American evening is in a couple weeks...who knows what we'll be doing!

Our second-years are getting busier and busier with university application deadlines, EEs, and coursework due dates looming.  They are really jealous of the first-years, but some of us are starting to get loaded up as well.  I haven't gotten too slammed yet, but I'm waiting for it....I'm also lucky because I'm a native English speaker.  It's much more difficult for people who are learning English as a second language to complete the homework. 

The biggest news going around right now is probably the UN meeting on the 21st.  Palestine is planning to apply to the UN for official statehood, and the US has stated that we will veto the proposal, and since we are a member of the Security Council the proposal will not go through.  Most of the other countries in the world support an independent Palestine, which is reflected in the opinion of most of the students here.  As a student from the US, I am sometimes automatically associated with my government, so it's a tricky issue for myself and my co-years.  Being around so many international students with different perspectives has made me look at this issue differently than I would have from the US, and it's incredible to follow its progress with students from both Palestine and Israel here at AC.

Well, my English poetry analysis is calling....I need to finish it before dinner tonight because directly after is the Middle Eastern National Evening!  I hope all is well back home, and I miss everyone even though I'm having a great time here!

Have a good week,
Madi

1 comment:

  1. So here is a benefit to you having this experience which extends even beyond you...I am paying more attention to international issues and thinking about them differently myself...and wondering whether you have met someone from various places as I read a news article....and, so, the understanding spreads! (Hope the chocolate perked you up!)

    ReplyDelete