Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Week 5

Dear Time: Will you slow down please?  I mean, I feel like you are riding a bicycle at full speed down a steep hill or something.  A nice leisurely walk could be the thing right now.

Hello all,
Sorry for my brief lapse out of reality, I am just in a continuous state of disbelief that yet another week has gone by!  Last week was quickly completed, and now we have entered our first Diploma Period at AC on Human Interaction.  This Diploma Period is designed to further the mission of AC, which is (put simply) to unite cultures for peace and a sustainable future.  We are using Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to go to a series of workshops and conferences run by outside speakers and our second years to explore leadership and communication with others.  The workshops have been incredible, not only because they are interesting but because they are empowering.  The outside speakers have been talking a lot about how leadership works now in the context of the 21st century.  It is no longer about one super-human person doing fantastic deeds, but about every individual participating in a network to create change at the smallest level and continually work up.  That makes leadership and action much more attainable for all of us, and it has already made me realize some ways that we as students can change the environment around us, and eventually the wider world.  It is also important to me that I bring back the skills I learn at AC home to Jacksonville and share them with others so that we can expand our community of empowered people.  I won't say what I am thinking just yet, because I need to give it some more focus first, but look for this in the near future and I will have my ideas up!

One of the best workshops I attended was given by one of the second years, Lily Tomlinson (I think I spelled her name right), titled 'Avoiding Armageddon.'  It focused on what we can physically do to change, rather than discussing the problems of the world, getting depressed, and not going anywhere.  This was great because I feel that action is sometimes lacking in any discussion of issues, so to jump right to that was refreshing.  I and a few others have decided to start researching environmentally sustainable food products (apparently entire forests are decimated in a search for palm oil to produce Kit-Kats...NOT sustainable!) in order to compile a list of the 'best' products to buy and put them in a presentable form to distribute to AC students and maybe Llantwit Major.  We felt that the best way to get the largest number of people to consume more 'environmentally-friendly' was to make information very accessible to them and provide alternatives so that they don't actually have to change their habits too much.  I'll keep you updated on how this goes!

Today the weather was absolutely gorgeous---we have been so lucky so far, with blue skies and sunshine turning up more often than rain.  I'm told this is uncharacteristic of Wales, so I'm enjoying it while I can!  A few friends and I went stargazing tonight in the Blue Garden, I ran along the coastal pat with Heidi, and I walked down to the seafront earlier today to watch the tide roll in.  I love the hills here, it's a welcome change from flat Florida!

It's in my mind right now to do another blog in a couple days, when Diploma Period is finished and I can gather my thoughts a little better...I feel a little scattered right now: it's 10:00 at night and this is the first time I've been in my house for more than 15 minutes today, so I'm all over the place.  Thank you for bearing with me, and I will hopefully write a more coherent post soon.

'Til then, take care everyone! 
Madi

No comments:

Post a Comment